Pump replacements

Question: I had a Red Jacket pump installed
July 2001 at my residence. The pump stopped working in January 2002 and was replaced by one from another company—as I did not want another Red Jacket pump. I didn’t think I should risk replacing a pump biannually with the same brand, as the warranty covers only the pump, not the labor (a couple hundred dollars, right there). The plumbing company that installed it said it was using 20 amps, which was why I got 1 minute flow and 1 minute of no flow. ITT Industries customer service said they would issue a credit, but I would have to take it back to the plumber. I did this in the first week of February and the plumber called the distributor in Salina, Kan. They have yet to pick it up.

When I called them today, the guy who answered the phone said they were not in a hurry to pick it up since I did not use the warranty. I called the Nebraska office and they said they would not give me a credit, just a replacement pump. I asked why he would do that when the customer service person at ITT Industries told me they no longer gave replacements anyway and would issue a credit. The guy in Nebraska said he wanted the name of that person and he would set her straight.

Any recommendations for resolving this situation and who I can take this matter to? Thanks.

Patricia Stein
Manhattan, Kan.

Answer: It sounds to me as if your problem is one related to business ethics or a matter of miscommunication. I would suggest you contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) in your area. It is generally very good about resolving issues such as this. The Water Quality Association does offer an ethics course to its members, but it sounds as if the plumber you’re referring to is not a WQA member. Your other options are to try and get someone at ITT to press the issue with the plumber or distributor. Regardless, record all names, titles, phone numbers, emails, and time and date of contacts with all parties concerned for future references for the BBB, a local consumer protection agency or the state attorney general. If it’s an email, print it out and save it. Also, save any written correspondence you may receive on the topic. Hopefully, you kept your original receipt or invoice for the pump and its replacement. As a last resort, you can pursue the matter through small claims court.

Treating humidifier water

Question: I am looking for an in-home water
treatment system to be used for medical equipment (sleep apnea humidifer). I am considering RO with UV, but I am not knowledgeable enough to evaluate the manufacturer claims. Can you recommend a cost effective system for that purpose? Thanks.

Bob Childress

Answer: To pretreat water for a humidifier, normally, all that’s required is reverse osmosis. To get a list of reputable manufacturers, I suggest you contact the Water Quality Association at (630) 505-0160 or check its website which includes a “Member Locator” function that will allow you to find a local dealer by zip code. You probably only require a point-of-use RO unit, and should have no problem finding one that meets your requirements. We hope that helps.


Comments are closed.